RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My father recently died. I have 3 sisters, one of whom has

Customer Question

My father recently died. I have 3 sisters, one of whom has mooched off of my father for the last decade. She used to live with my father but moved out a year or so ago. Last month when when we had my fathers funeral, she came and tried to stay in the house after we all left. I paid her $500 to leave and had sign a paper that said with receipt of that money, she gave up all rights to stay at the property.
This week my two sisters and I are meeting back at my fathers to divide his property and arrange for an estate sale. My third sister, the one we paid to leave, called and told us she was on her way to sell "her" stuff which is in my fathers basement. She does have things down there which I dont mind her taking. However, she is bringing her daughter and her boyfriend, freshly bailed out of jail and I do not want any of them staying there.
What rights do we have as far as keeping them from staying there? How can we ensure that they will get their things and not try to camp out in the basement? What is the best way to handle this situation?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You need to change and rekey the locks.You absolutely have right to safeguard the property.

I would seriously consider placing her property in a specific place so you can keep it separate or alternately remove all the other stuff and put it away from hers.

I would see if your other sisters and you here can spend the night in the property to watch the stuff.I would be seriously concerned about theft/disappearance if there are valuable items.

You have good reason to be paranoid and to protect the estate interests here.You would argue she signed a valid contract not to reinhabit.

I appreciate the chance to help you.Thanks again, sorry for your loss and dealing with family.If it makes you feel better I have a sibling like this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One of my sisters is staying there and we have changed the locks. But I am wondering if we let her in to get her things, will the police support removing her if she tries to stay?

Thats the problem here if you let her in the police likely tell you it is a civil matter.Thats why I am wondering if you can separate her stuff and put it elsewhere.It could be a problem here based on her history..

I appreciate the chance to help you.I think you have legitimate reasons to be paranoid about this sister.Certainly if you can limit her somehow you are better off to avoid her trying to squat on the premises.You got her out be careful she doesn't get back in.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated