Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My dad died in March of 2016. His money left to me and my

Customer Question

My dad died in March of 2016. His money left to me and my brother was dispersed. I don't feel my brother was honest. He had the power of attorney and divided the money. I have sent 2 different letters asking him to send me copies of what amount was left and the receipt's for what was paid out. It took him 2 months to respond after my second letter, He only said, that the account was closed. What are my option's for getting the information I ask for?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok thank's

I am sorry for your loss. A power of attorney ended when he died. Once he died, an adminstrator would need to be appointed and if it was him, he needed to account to you for all assets and distributions.

Now if you think he mishandled things you have a right to get that accounting or report. You may have a local estate lawyer demand this of him by letter, and then if needed, can ask the court to review and order an accounting.

If the court finds he took more than his share, it can order him to return same, and grant you legal fees.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'm on a fixed income. What is the average cost of an estate lawyer?

Normally by the hour, but you can find one who is cheaper through avvo.com and findlaw.com. If court action is not needed, should be inexpensive. If goes to court, more expensive. some lawyers may take it on commission.

Kindly rate the answer 5 stars.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Would it be better if I send my brother one more letter letting him know of my intention's or not?

Yes, it may leads to a resolution saving lawyer fees, and if not, its another record showing your good faith efforts. Give a short deadline for compliance. Kindly click on a 5 star rating for me. Bonus always appreciated. Have a nice week.

Kindly take a moment to rate me.

thank you in advance.