Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

How do you start the probate process of a will, Georiga, my

Customer Question

how do you start the probate process of a will
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Georiga
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: my father passed away he left a will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my cousin is the executor whom I never really met until recently and acts shady about the will I do have a copy of the will
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The executor of the will starts by filing a petition to open a probate case in the county probate court where the deceased lived. They submit the will to probate along with the petition. They then have to notify all the beneficiaries that they have filed the petition to be appointed so they can appear and object if they want..

.

Then there is a short hearing where the judge appoints the person as executor formally so they can then gather assets, pay any debts and taxes and proceed to settle the estate and distribute assets to the beneficiaries.

.

.

thanks