Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My mother inherited a trust from her sister that has passed

Customer Question

My mother inherited a trust from her sister that has passed away and she was the only surviving trustee and was also named as the 100% benifishary
She passed before dissolving the trust and I am her sole beneficiary and named trustee to her estate.
How do I dissolve the trust or add me as a trustee to the trust?
Thank you..
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hello:

Which State was the Trust established in?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Texas

Thank you for your patience and for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This should not be difficult for you to ccomplish. You must File a Petition to Terminate the trust with the Probate Court in the County where your mother resided. In the Petition you will state that you are to sole beneficiary and the sole trustee and that the Trust has run its course. The Peition is filed under Section 112.054 of the Texas Property Code. You should be able to get a copy of the forms that you need from the Clerk of the Probate Court. Just ask for a sample of a Petition previosly filed.

If the clerk will not accomodate you to the law library (there is one in the court house) and ask the librarian where the Forms Boks are. There should be a sample Peition in that set of books.

This link has detailed information on this process:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.galliganmanning.com/documents/Modification-and-Termination-of-Trusts-and-Trustee-Resignations.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwinw7mFhJ3QAhUC4YMKHbzHB7YQFggkMAA&usg=AFQjCNHdlbWw1Af2K0eMuoavp19NWisYJQ&sig2=c6GKIXVV_w4YelQsaeu7tA

Here is a link to the law on the issue:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.112.htm

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.