David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

My question is about some thing back in 1990.my father

Customer Question

my question is about some thing back in 1990.my father passed away that year.i believe that his estate was about a little over 3 million dollars.it included 2 houses.the statute of limitations has probably expired.my sister and my self were the only blood relatives.my fathers third wife and her family got the two houses.my dads second wife had a daughter and her family got around 75000 dollars.i think after that it was a 3 way split with my sister and had to pay the taxes.we each received about 840000 dollars.we were in an irivocable trust with northern trust bank in Miami florida.that lasted about 3 months we both were receiveing dividens for that amount.then the irs took about a little over 400000 out of each of our accounts.i have been told that we would have been better off had we each received 600000 as ihat was the allowable amount a person could receive without being taxed.the trust has now expired as the will stated till the age of 60 I am now 70.my sister passed away about 3 years ago.there were lawyers involved.i am not sure how they were paid.my dads personal lawyer and friend I believe was disbarred.just sending this note along to hear if all this was handeld correctly.thank you for your time.john ferendino house phone(###) ###-####cell(###) ###-####e mail***@******.*** some times e mails don't always get through.i live in new port richey florida
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok I will sine off now
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not sure what you mean I haven't filed or reported any thing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of I don't know where the will is any more my self and my sister only received copys of it.the original will was was lost for about 2 weeks and northern trust could not buy or sell any of the stocks or bonds because of no will.the original will was found in his third wifes brothers safe who was an attourny.when I contacted my fathers friend the disbarred attourny and questioned about the authenticity he said that it was real because I should recognize my fathers hand wrighting which did look correct.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 2 months ago.

John: this looks like a fairly complicated inquiry. I am happy to have a call with you to go through it start to finish to see if we can make sure the matter was handled correctly. To give you some initial information on this I would expect your father's estate to be closed since it appears from your note that it was closed in 1990 and therefore I believe you may have a difficult time getting anything opened back up to be addressed. I will offer you a phone call in follow up and we can talk it through tomorrow if you are available. You will need to accept the proposal and the system will walk you through how to connect with me. All the best, David