Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

We are from wisconsin. our father passed away in march of

Customer Question

we are from wisconsin. our father passed away in march of this year. he lived with his girlfriend. we believe he had some capital somewhere because the girlfriend is trying to get us to sign off on something. we have no idea what he had or where it could be . there is bad blood between the girlfriend and us. what direction could we go . we are reluctant to spend alot of money in legal fees with out knowing what the whole picture is.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I am very sorry for your loss. As his girlfriend, she has no inherent rights to any of this assets. The main issue then is someone has to adminster his estate and close it out. Even if its her, she has to follow the law.

If he had a will, you are entitled to view it and see how he wanted his assets to pass. Some assets like bank accounts identify the beneficiary, so the bank would have to distribute to that beneficiary on learning of his passing.

If there is no will, normally a close relative applies to the court to take charge of his affairs including these assets and any estate debts. she must cooperate or the court will intervene. Typically you would hire alocal estate lawyer to handle all of this, and many will agree to get paid out of the estate. As his child, you are likely inheriting by will or otherwise.

I hope that is fast and clear.

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

any questions let me know, thanks