Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Have question my husband's parents owned two homes one of

Customer Question

hi have question my husband's parents owned two homes one of the homes they gave to me and my husband 10 years ago if we did the home repairs needed we have and are still working on it. prob. is it was between us and them they recently passed and now his brother is wanting are house sold because in the will it state everything to be sold and divided equally, his sisters agree with us and know the agreement we had with parents what can we do
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: pa
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: nothing but bills we have paid elec. gas, phone cable
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: money we have had put into the house fixing it up
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. With nothing in writing and only the will evidencing the wishes of what will be done with the home, the burden would be on you and your husband to try and convince the court, that there was an agreement. In a situation like this, you have the deceased and nothing which would evidence or show what their intent was, other then their will, which was conveys their intent. I say this because if this was the agreement and they wanted the home to pass to you, they either would have 1) transferred interest while they were alive or 2) amended their will, so the home would pass to you. You shared that this happened 10 years ago, so there was ample time for them to modify and change their will, if they desired. At this point, the will controls so you and your husband would need to contest this and prove there was an agreement and it was made after their will and dictates their wishes. It would need to be shown and established why after 10 years, this was never done either.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No thank you!! I won't be charged more than $5 will i

$5 was the deposit. Based upon what was shown above, you agreed to pay the balance once an answer was provided and you are satisfied. I know my answer was not what you were hoping to hear but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm confused how much??

Based upon what I can see, it would appear to be a total of $51? The $5 deposit and the balance which you agreed to pay when you set a price for the question to be answered. Does this sound right?