Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My husband was seeing a va medical center for his illness.

Customer Question

My husband was seeing a va medical center for his illness. He had a heart attack at work, and died three days later, now the va says they are not responsible for his ambulance or his medical bills I'm not working, caring for my mother and have not yet received any social security benefits. I don't no how I'm going to pay for all these bills. I can't make it now.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The va was all we had in means of ins.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was being covered by the VA by VA benefits and insurance, then they are liable for payment of his hospital and ambulance fees if he had to be taken somewhere other than the VA because of the severity of his condition. You need to call the VA and ask for the patient advocate and they are supposed to work out these payments (see: http://www.va.gov/health/patientadvocate/) but they are liable to pay for his medical care if he was under VA insurance. You need to be polite but persistent and work your way through supervisors if need be, but they are supposed to cover emergency care.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.