Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

I am the successor trustee for my mother's living trust. Mom

Customer Question

I am the successor trustee for my mother's living trust. Mom passed away in August. I am trying to understand the taxation for the trust. The trust earnings are not that significant. What she has was held in cash in a checking acct. The bulk of that was deposited in April/May as mom was the sole beneficiary of my late sisters estate. We sold my sisters house and mom received the proceeds ($450,000).
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Sorry, my mother and I live in California. I have a sister in Mo. and a brother also in california
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I sorry-
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: support for what? the assets or the trust?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What do you need to know about the taxation of the trust?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug