LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My son passed away last Friday, and I would like to

Customer Question

My son passed away last Friday, and I would like to establish a scholarship trust in his name. His family are residents of Hawaii. Where can I find documents compliant with Hawaii law?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I already said, Hawaii
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: What is the problem? I said, Hawaii
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO, just started a search for Trust docs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

My sympathies for your loss; that is a very kind gesture to help keep a loved one's memory alive; a few minutes please.

This is referred to as an endowment, as opposed to a trust-which is an estate planning document. Normally the contributor will provide the funds, and the organization will assist with the paperwork and with screening applicants (unless the contributor wishes to play a part in choosing the recipient and/or presenting the award)

An endowment sets up a permanent fund (Contributions are carefully invested to ensure the endowment retains its value forever, and the scholarships created by the endowment are funded through the income generated by the investment).

Annual scholarships are for situations where one wishes to commit to funding a scholarship for a certain number of years.

Here is a link to the statewide, non profit organization that will help establish a scholarship and will allow one to pick one of particular interest, ie a field of study, sports, leadership, ethnicity, religion, hobbies, etc

http://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/file/pdfs/2013-Annual-Report.pdf

That includes their mission statement, and here is their contact information:

http://www.cof.org/content/contact-us

Other foundations can be located by geographic location here:

http://www.cof.org/community-foundation-locator

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 5 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!