How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 112679
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I don't know what to do! My GAY partner TJ suffers from PTSD

Customer Question

I don't know what to do!
My GAY partner TJ suffers from PTSD and had a SEVERE reactive episode yesterday evening when he returned to the townhouse we live together in for 2.3 years... ( 16 year relationship ).
TJ is Vietnamese and walked from HoChiMnh To Thailand at age 13...He became threatened when he found my GAYnephew Chad had stopped by to visit me as I was experiencing breathing difficulty.
TJ yelled at Chad to "Get Out of here" for no logical reason - the two of them exchanged words for 5 minutes and TJ
Pretended to call the cops.I would like to discuss my next options regard my partner, our relationship, how to get TJ intervention and help.
What are my legal parameters regard leaving and TJ providing for my ECONOMIC transition from our townhouse
( He bought the property for cash in July 2013 for us following our previous separation and asked me to move back in with him which I did). His previous behaviors have not ameliorated - rather have intensified, I have felt stuck for the past year or so. But made no mention as I was my mom's primary care giver ( 83 COPD, O2 in a town an hour away from Mnneapolis ). Her Memorial was March 26. I went on sabbatical from work in June ( Counseling Psychologist, LMFT - Private Practice ).
I have been in the MH fields since 1991, I am 53 - TJ is 45.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the problem here is if he bought the property, if your name is ***** ***** the deed, you would not have any claims to the property. Also, unless your name is ***** ***** account or property, when it comes to breaking up, you have to prove what is your property and what is not if he objects to what you are taking.
After 16 years though, you may want to consider trying to get him into an inpatient counseling program (I do not have to tell you much about it as you are a MH professional), but you just cannot force him in legally as you likely know. If he is a danger to himself of others you can get him involuntarily committed to try to get him help, but that may make him mad and make your relationship worse.
So, you can separate your assets now as much as you can in preparation for separating again.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions