RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Does a spouse's inheritance pass to his or her surviving

Customer Question

Does a spouse's inheritance pass to his or her surviving spouse if there was no will?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Under Virginia law, if a person dies with just a spouse, or a spouse and children who are also children of the spouse, yes, the spouse would inherit everything. If there are children, at least one of whom is not a child of the spouse, then the spouse would inherit 1/3 of the decedent's estate, and the decedent's descendant(s) would inherit the other 2/3.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!