Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My mother has dementia and needs to go to a nursing home. My

Customer Question

My mother has dementia and needs to go to a nursing home. My father can not afford to pay it out of pocket. They jointly own a home that has lots of equity, but my father and brother also live there. What options do they have?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she sent about 30 days in a nursing home about 2 months ago, justg to gt her strenth back, but she is now going backwards again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My father and brother also live in the home. My dad can not afford to pay for the nursing home, nor can he afford to sell his home. My brother is also disabled, but is able to care for himself and my dad. Mother is a t point to where she needs better care that they can give her.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

You would need to file an application for Medicaid benefits for mother if she needs to go into a nursing home or long term care facility.

.

Father can keep up to $113,640 in assets, not including the house, and still have mother qualify for benefits.

.

As long as father is living in the house, or a disabled child, then they can't lien it and force a sale to pay for any benefits.

.

.

thanks