J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

My mom just passed away this month and her home deed is in

Customer Question

My mom just passed away this month and her home deed is in her name with a L/E and others REM. My brothers and sister and I do not know if we need to have a new deed made with our names on it or do we have the right to sell it as the Remaindermen?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: TN
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Deed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

My condolences on the loss of your Mother. A new deed is not necessary for the remainderman to transfer ownership in the property held by a life estate. A death certificate of the holder of the life estate is recorded and this officially transfer ownership to the remainderman. The remainderman then may sell the property. Death certificates are filed with the Tennessee Office of Vital Records.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.