Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

I am living in Texas. I am engaged to be married. My fiance

Customer Question

I am living in Texas. I am engaged to be married. My fiance wants me to sign a prenup. On the prenup it indicates I get nothing but the marital properties after we get married, but there will be a live estate that I would have to divide things with his kids upon his death. there will be a separate account for him. all assets, monies will only be his to do as he pleases. there will an account that we will mutually have for expenses to pay. I would be required to put money into it. He says he will make a will that would with survivors deed and I would be able to stay in the house if I wanted. will the will supercede the prenup
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I am refusing to sign it. I do not trust what it says there. I feel like he is giving NO self worth of anything. My income is about 50K and I am retired. He makes comparable to that and he still works, and he owns about 10 house or so. I really do not know his assets other than he does have realestate investments
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what are my rights. I have been living with him for about 14 months.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If there is a conflict between a pre-nuptial agreement and the Will, the Probate Court will have to make a decision as to which to hold up. Under current Texas doctrine, the prenuptial agreement preempts the Last Will and Testament if there is a conflict, meaning it is considered superior. See HERE.

As such, the prenuptial agreement normally will supersede the Will if the Will conflicts with the prenuptial agreement. Thus, it would be a good idea to ask for whatever someone in your situation wants to be guaranteed to you to be put into the pre-nuptial agreement, and not to place one's hope into the Will.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.