Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My Father died in 2011. we were estranged. I was never

Customer Question

My Father died in 2011. we were estranged. I was never notified about his will. I just thought he had written me out with the influence of my brother his other child. Just of late I was told that I was in his will. How can I find out about his will without drama with my fathers Son ?
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  jb156200 replied 3 days ago.

Good Evening. My name is ***** ***** I am licensed Estate Attorney. Do you know what County or State your father passed in?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Cederedge Co. I dont know the county should have looked that up sorry
Expert:  jb156200 replied 3 days ago.

No problem. Cedaredge, Co is located in Delta County.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
okay. are wills public info ? If they are where should I search his county ?
Expert:  jb156200 replied 3 days ago.

First you need to contact the Delta County Probate Clerk and ask if a Will is on record for your father or if an estate was opened in his name. They may request you submit an affidavit proving you are his daughter. The estate is public record but not the terms of the Will; however, once you prove you are his daughter you may request a copy of the Will sent to you for your review. Usually you only have to pay a copy fee to the Clerk. The Clerk will tell you how many pages the Will is and how much the copy fee is.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 3 days ago.

If an estate was opened, you, as the daughter, are required to be served notice of the administration of the estate, whether or not you were listed in the Will.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 3 days ago.

If you go to the Seventh Judicial District of Colorado, you can do a case search. Click on Court Dockets and enter your father's name. You may be able to find records of an estate through that search.