Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

If a person born in Switzerland and became a citizen of the

Customer Question

If a person born in Switzerland and became a citizen of the US, died and had money inherited from the sale of her parents property in Switzerland and left the money there to her siblings in Switzerland, is that taxable? It was not earned in the US, was never brought to the US and was left in Switzerland.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is no. If the property is not in the USA, and is being left to individuals outside of US jurisdiction and not via an American probate process, then there is no federal or state tax that should attach.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.