Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I along with 11 siblings inherited a house with 24 acres of

Customer Question

I along with 11 siblings inherited a house with 24 acres of land 17 years ago. We are now bickering among each other and I would like to have the property sold because my family is not financially able to buy me out. I am a senior citizen and cannot afford to hire an expensive lawyer. Please give me some advice as to what are my options?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The property is located in Chatham, VA, in Pittsylvania County Virginia. My name is*****
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: There is no mortgage on the house. It is paid for. I have the deed to the property.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need a lawyer.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

In a situation like this, you basically have two options... you can try to sell your interest privately to someone by quitclaim deeding your interest to that person in return for whatever the agreed amount is. Or you can file a legal lawsuit called a "partition action" to have a judge order a sale of the entire property at public auction to the highest bidder. This is an absolute right that can't be denied..

.

The problem with selling it privately is that you may not find anyone who wants to be an owner with the 11 others. So realistically, filing the partition action is your only real option for "cashing out" your interest.

.

With that said, any local real estate attorney can file the partition case as it is just a matter of filing the suit against all the other owners and then having a hearing where the judge issues the order to sell the property. So you can shop around based on price to see if you can find an attorney to file the case as inexpensively as possible. I would ballpark it at $1500-2000 to get the action filed..

.

.

thanks