RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

How can I cash a check payable to the estate of P Vogel who

Customer Question

How can I cash a check payable to the estate of Edward P Vogel who died 3 and 1/2 years ago when there was no estate established?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check is for $548.00, from a city bank charge card that I didn't know about. I am co-named on the account.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 days ago.

Here you would complete the small estate affidavit showing you are the sole heir here and return check with affidavit and cover letter asking them to reissue the check to your name as the sole heir under the Affidavit and that no probate has been opened as this is the sole asset.

This hopefully gets you the check reissued to your name so you can deposit it.You don't have to file the affidavit with anyone other than the bank so not fees.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.