Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.

Who can endorse a check addressed to the deceased if the

Customer Question

Hi! Who can endorse a check addressed to the deceased if the estate is insolvent?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sure - PA
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: My brother passed (I have Death Certificates), but no estate was opened, so there is no executor for the estate - which would have been me per his Will. After discussing & reviewing my brothers affairs with an attorney, the option to declare the estate Insolvent was chosen. I now have a check from his Home Owner's insurance made out to both my brother & a vendor who performed work required as a result of my brother's death.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now...
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks fine, thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 14 days ago.

Even with an insolvent estate, a PETITION FOR SETTLEMENT OF INSOLVENT ESTATE UNDER 20 Pa. C.S.A. §3392 may have been filed on the executor's behalf by the probate lawyer. If that proceeding is now closed, it may need to be reopened and the court may need to re-issue a current set of Letters Testamentary for the executor. Then the executor will have legal authority to sign the check.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information. If you need or want legal advice or services regarding a particular matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer of your choice who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** provided is most appreciated.
Expert:  Maverick replied 14 days ago.

You are welcome.