Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

Joint Tenancy. Property is in Joint Tenancy. One party dies

Customer Question

Joint Tenancy. Property is in Joint Tenancy. One party dies and the property goes to the living spouse.The value of the property has increases. Is the property reasseted for property tax increase? Is there an inheritance tax on the increased value of the house for the survivor?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are thinking of putting our property in a trust. We now have joint tenancy
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Can you provide me a bit more information? What is the value of the property? Is the property a primary residence? Thanks.