Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My mother died February 27015. My brother is the executor.

Customer Question

My mother died February 27015. My brother is the executor. He inherited one half of the estate and I'am receiving a one third share of the remaining half with my two children. My brother has not ,given me a breakdown of my mothers estate but it is over $600,000. We live in New Jersey. There is a 170,000 annuity with Morgan Stanley that I would like to take my share out of but he refuses. I do not know who are all the beneficiaries because everything he tells me is verbal!?!
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Does the will provide authority for the executor to refuse to liquidate the annuity account?

Do you have any reason to suspect that your brother is withholding assets form you or otherwise breaching his fiduciary duties?