Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

Am I responsible for my husbands hospital bill after he

Customer Question

Am I responsible for my husbands hospital bill after he passed away. In Virginia.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 7 months ago.

Because Virginia isn’t a community property State, debts acquired during marriage, including hospital debts, are not automatically treated as the debts of the surviving spouse.

That said, signed contracts with a hospital and medical services stating that both spouses are liable for the debt. would override this provision.

Notwithstanding that you may not be directly liable for the debt of your deceased spouse, the probate estate of a deceased person is responsible for paying all creditors before releasing funds to beneficiaries .

Therefore, you are not directly liable but may have signed a liability contract or the executor of the probate estate may have to pay off the debt.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE GOOD TO EXCELLENT BEFORE EXITING

THIS GIVES ME A CREDIT

THIS IS WHAT I WORK FOR

Please follow up with me on your question if anything else remains.

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It did not answer my question fully he had nothing when he died. I have nothing but my job, for me to live and that still is not enough I will have to find a part time job to make ends meet.

You are not directly responsible for his debts. If there is no probate estate then the creditors won't be able to receive anything.

CLICK GREAT TO EXCELLENT BEFORE EXITING

THIS GIVES ME A CREDIT FOR THE LEGAL INFORMATION PROVIDED

Attorney Bill