FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
89910983

IS IT LEGAL IN NEW YORK STATE TO APPONT MY WIFE, WHO IS ALSO

Customer Question

IS IT LEGAL IN NEW YORK STATE TO APPONT MY WIFE, WHO IS ALSO A BENEFICIARY, AS TRUSTEE OF MY REVOCABLE TRUST?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, etc. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

In NY, yes, a beneficiary can be a trustee of a revocable trust. It is not necessarily the best idea, but it is valid. As long as this is an arrangement that you want and that your wife is willing to take on, then yes, it can be done. You can have a wills, trusts and estate attorney help you set up the trust, with your wife as the trustee. If you want to name a successor trustee as well, you can do that too. It's a good idea to have an attorney set this up for you so you know that the trust itself will work the way you want it to.

Does this answer your question?

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find a lawyer. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated. Thanks so much!

A follow-up question is free if it is based on this one, while a new question would need a new post. Also you may make a copy of this transcript so you know what to do.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me help you tonight!