Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I am the sole beneficiary of a friend. He has no family. He

Customer Question

I am the sole beneficiary of a friend. He has no family. He is the plaintiff in a medical malpractice suit. That suit has been settled in his favor but the insurance company is doing whatever it can to avoid paying him because the settlement is large. The matter has been winding through the courts but it looks like it will be settled once and for all relatively soon. Unfortunately, my friend may not survive long enough to see the check. My question is , if my friend dies, will the case still proceed and will I have difficulty with the inheritance. You should also know I am his health proxy and the executor of his estate. Thank you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

My question is , if my friend dies, will the case still proceed and will I have difficulty with the inheritance. You should also know I am his health proxy and the executor of his estate.

.

No, it will not affect your eventual inheritance at all. If friend passes, the estate, and you as the executor, would just continue to pursue the case until it is resolved. Cases don't stop if the plaintiff passes, the estate just "steps into their shoes" and continues indefinitely until it is settled and the estate receives the funds.

.

.

thanks