Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I have a house in Bethlehem New Hampshire 36 feet off the

Customer Question

I have a house in Bethlehem New Hampshire 36 feet off the center of the road but my front property extends 17 feet to the edge of the road I believe it to be a State Route. I would like to put up a temporary fence 4 feet back from the edge of the road how far does the state own from the center of the road and will that be a problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The state owns the roadway up to your front lot line. It appears you have a non-traditional setback from the centerline (since by ordinance it is now 60 feet). So you need to examine your deed to see where your front lot line begins and then you generally need to observe the 5 foot right of way from the edge of the road.