Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

I have a written agreement with now deceased owners of my

Customer Question

I have a written agreement with now deceased owners of my house that I was buying it and upon the last payment they would sign over to me. the heirs are unwilling to handle the estate. The owners lived in florida and the house is in Warren pa. I don't know what to do.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi Cheryl. Your agreement does not end with the death of the owners; rather it survives and follows the property and the estate. If the heirs do not honor the contract willingly, then file suit to quiet title and for breach of contract against the estates of the owners and the heirs. The court will then uphold your agreement and if you have made the last payment, order the title to the property transferred to you. The property is an asset of the estate and subject to your agreement. As part of your suit, you will want to file a lis pendens (fancy legal term for lien in this situation) against the property to prevent them from selling it to anyone else while your suit is adjudicated.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!