Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

My mother needs to put her husband in nursing home as its

Customer Question

My mother needs to put her husband in nursing home as its too much to care. He is 85 she is 75. They own a home and he has stocks in his name and one account is in her name and his. The main income is social security 1100 for him 500 for her. Can she get him into a nursing home via meadicaid and Medicare for long term care. Can she keep the assets of the home and will she lose stocks.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

She can indeed do so. She should be considering estate planning if has not commenced that process. As much as possible, assets should not be in their names, and instead placed in irrevocable trusts for benefit of children. Obviously, the earlier this is done relative to applying to the home the better, but at this point need to start on that asap, preferably through an estates lawyer locally.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can the assets be put in her name alone and will that enable her to keep the stocks or when applying for Medicaid will any asset in her name be counted as his because they are married?

The nursing home will be asking about transfers like that and could try to challenge them, and get some of it to pay the bills. A transfer to a trust tends to be more effective. Tried to expedite your question. Kindly rate me 5 stars, and reply if I can clarify anything!

Thank you in advance.

Is the answer acceptable?