Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Maryland---I am in the process of preparing a Codicil to

Customer Question

Maryland---I am in the process of preparing a Codicil to Last Will & Testament to change the name of the personal representative. The new personal representative is not a Maryland resident. It is my understanding that since the PR is not a MD resident, a Maryland resident has to agree to act as the PR's agent. 1) Does this need to be set forth in the Last Will and Testament or does this happen after the death of the individual? 2) can the agent be a agent for service of process such at CT Corporation?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi Michele. No, this does not need to be in the Codicil itself; it's addressed after your death in the event your executor is not a Maryland resident at that time. And, yes, at that time, yes, CT Corporation or similar entity, can act as agent for service. An "entity" is included within the definition of "person."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!