RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My husband passed away and had no will but had me on his

Customer Question

My husband passed away and had no will but had me on his bank account as joint owner.His children are saying he gave them each a card that had his account info on it and they were to have his money. Now they say I took advantage of his mental state.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience, and my deepest condolences.

If you were a joint owner of the bank account, then the funds pass automatically to you, no probate is necessary, so him not having a will isn't a problem. Giving them a card with the bank account information doesn't mean they have a right to inherit. If they were also named as joint owners, it would be different.

As far as them making such claims, it's in extremely poor taste and smacks of jealously. But the fa

I edited my last response and now I don't see it -- I was saying that unless your husband was worth a substantial amount of money, to litigate against you and try to establish that you somehow "took advantage" of your husband (which is silly, since most spouses keep joint assets) would cost a substantial sum -thousands and thousands of dollars.