Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters

How can one find out if a deceased person had a life

Customer Question

How can one find out if a deceased person had a life insurance policy and if it was paid
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 24 days ago.

Good afternoon and thanks for contacting Just Answer. The short but unfortunate answer to your question is that It is extremely difficult to obtain information of that kind. That is, unless you know that you were the beneficiary of a policy, and the name and contact information for the agent who sold it to the deceased. Possibly, if you know the name of the insurance client company that wrote the policy you could ask them if they have a policy on that person and how to file a claim. You can check with the Attorney General of the state where the person lived to see if there is any abandoned property in that person's name. Sometimes there will be a clue to an existing insurance policy that has paid out money on the policy. There is no central registry anywhere of life insurance policies that may be in force for individuals.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.