Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.

I have a witnessed and notarized District of Columbia

Customer Question

I have a witnessed and notarized District of Columbia Durable Power of Attorney and Durable Medical Power of Attorney. I was told that it would be better to file them in court. Please advise of details to file these documents in court.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no need to file the power(s) of attorney. They are effective even without being filed. Sometimes, people file them in case the originals get lost.

Typically, a power of attorney is only recorded in Washington DC, if it deals real estate. IF SO, then it is recorded with the office of the Recorder of Deeds. Otherwise, there is really no need for it to be recorded unless you feel that the originals may be lost.

The recording may be done by simply sending in the POA plus a small fee, or, stopping by their location:

***** SW, Suite 270 West, Washington, DC 20024
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 28 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!