Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.

If an item is willed to someone but given to someone else

Customer Question

If an item is willed to someone but given to someone else years before the person passes away does the person it is willed to have a right to the item and can it keep the will from being executed
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 30 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is a concept of "gift failing" in probate. This means that if A wills ITEM to B, but then A gives it to C before A passes away, then A's gift to B fails, and C retains the item.

This works both for titled and non-titled property. For example:

Amy wills Bertha her house. However, before Amy passes away, she signs over the title to Claudia. Claudia now owns the house - Bertha does not inherit it. The gift fails since the house no longer belonged to Amy at the time of her death.

As such, the item - if no longer part of the estate of the deceased at time of death - "fails" as a gift and the heir does not receive it, as it already belongs to someone else.

However - the rest of the Will is executed as is, meaning whatever else is left is distributed to the heirs specified in the Will.

If this is not what you had wanted to hear, I am sorry. Note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 27 days ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!