How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I lived on property that is in a family trust

Customer Question

My wife and I lived on property that is in a family trust set up by her family. She died this past February. Do I have any way to get back any money we spent of property improvements. I still live on the property and take care of her mother and father in law. Her mother is confined to a walker and wheelchair and her father in law is 95% blind.
I take care of maintenance and upkeep on the property and take the father in law shopping and to all doctor appointments. My wife and I lived on the property together for over 9 years and I told the parents I would stay until they die.
Tom Sanner
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  jb156200 replied 6 months ago.

Good Evening. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. Please give me a moment as I type my answer to your question.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 6 months ago.

When real property is titled to a trust then the assets in the trust are used to pay all expenses associated with the home. You may seek reimbursement for any expenses you have paid out of pocket on behalf on the property. If you haven't started already save all receipts, invoices, or check registries that prove your expenses.

If there are no liquid assets in the trust name to pay the expenses then your in-laws are responsible for the expenses. Who is their Power of Attorney and who is the Trustee of the family trust?

The trust document itself will state who the real property will be devised to upon the death of your in-laws.