P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.

What is the easiest/fastest way to draw up a simple will for

Customer Question

What is the easiest/fastest way to draw up a simple will for myself to ensure that my company and all of my belonging go to my partner? Can I just write something up? Does it have to be hand written or notarized? What details should I know to make sure it would be seen as a legitimate will that will be legally followed?I'm young (at least I hope I am.. 31yr old), not expecting to die, but my best friend recently passed in a freak accident, so I want to know that I have something somewhere in case anything ever happens. I'm not looking to invest $1000+ for an extensive will with minute details. Just a basic "my fiance gets everything".Thank you! :)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Easiest/fastest way?

Likely that would be a "holographic will"

TX, like many states, allow a person to "handwrite" their will (hence the term holographic)

Your holographic will must be entirely in your own handwriting and signed by you. It is not necessary to date it, but you can eliminate potential disputes later by doing so. Witnesses are not required. Just as with a typewritten will, you must be of sound mind, and not under duress, or unlawfully pressured into writing the will.

Now...I would recommend that perhaps you spend a few dollars and use a can purchase one here

This will walk you through a question and answer session and at the end you can print out your will and sign it in front of witnesses.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can a witness be someone that is mentioned in the will? Or should that be avoided?

That must be avoided...have a witness who is not an heir if at all possible.