Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

My grandfather passed away in 2011 then my dad passed in

Customer Question

my grandfather passed away in 2011 then my dad passed in 2013. My mother never filed my dads estate with probate. Now she is asking us kids to sign a legal document to give up our rights to my dads estate. Can I force it into probate after 3 years? Will I have a case in court?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new jersey
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have my dads death cert and a copy of the document my mom wants me to sign saying I give up my rights to the estate
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all I have right now. I had no idea that I even had an interest in the estate
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. We may discuss the issues too. Let me know that sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it sounds good
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you answer my question?

Yes. Certainly. Let me review it...brb...

A heir to an estate does not have to sign any documents waiving a right to the estate. You do not mention whether there is a will. Was there one? If so, where you named?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no will. She did not file for probate.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The document she sent me implies I have in interest in the balance of my grandfathers estate and residually my fathers estate. I want to know if I can force the estate ito probate because the estate is sizable.

It would pass under the intestacy laws of New Jersey. Did your Mother have other children with any another man? I am asking because possibly it matters.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry I closed the browser by accident. I hope you are still here
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not that I know of. We are the only children for the marriage. myself and 3 siblings
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My dad died in 2013 though

Through the intestacy laws, your Mother would receive everything anyway since all the kids are from the dad and mom together. In other words, you mom gets your dad's estate. With regard to your grandfather's estate, unless there was a will, then if his wife died, his kids would get it, not the grandkids. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My grandfather did have a will. The form she sent came from his estate lawyer. It says we kids have an interest in the estate