Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

I am one of three adult who father just died. The will has

Customer Question

I am one of three adult who father just died. The will has one of us as handling the will but she will give us no info on how she is dispersing the assets. She has a new lawyer but will not tell us who he is. She is cleaning things out of the house with out letting us know what she is doing with the things.
We are lost at what to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify:

1) What do you mean will give you no info on how she will disperse the assets? As in, how, or when? Or what exactly? How long has it been since your father has passed?

2) Has probate been filed with the court, or not yet? Or, not sure?

3) What are you asking here exactly, i.e. what do you wish to know?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has his check book and savings account and will not show us copy's of the amounts. She has gotten a new lawyer and will not give us his name. She is taken thing out of the house that she has no right to. She has two of his vehicles that she has given to other people without asking us first, because all propety was to be given three ways.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Do you know if she has formally opened probate proceedings? Or, not sure (or not sure what I mean by this)?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No more thanks
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

I am a different attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. You state that one of the adult children is handling your father's will. A Will appoints a person to handle the estate matters. The first step is beginning the probate process.

The Probate Division in the County where your father resided at the time of his death is where the Will would be filed. As an heir you are entitled to know everything that is happening with regard to the administration of the your father's estate. It is suspect that no information is being shared. The first place to check is with the probate division in the county

Can you tell me the county so I can provide a link for information?