Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
16823287

Is an American citizen has to pay right of succession for an

Customer Question

is an American citizen has to pay right of succession for an inheritance from france? since technically, I m not taxable and right of succession in france are based on the taxable portion.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

If the deceased was resident for tax purposes in France, then all his or her worldwide assets are within the scope of French inheritance tax. Accordingly, even though a beneficiary may not be resident in France, the whole of the estate is liable to French inheritance tax.

More to come...

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Also, as long as the decedent who transfers the asset by bequest is neither a U.S. citizen nor a foreign national domiciled in the United States, then no U.S. estate tax is imposed on the transfer. The United States does not impose inheritance taxes on the beneficiary's receipt of a bequest, therefore there is no U.S. tax resulting from the death transfer. Finally, the United States also does not impose an income tax on inheritances brought into the United States.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.