RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

What the difference between Personal Representative and a

Customer Question

What the difference between Personal Representative and a Executor of a probate estate?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Personal representative is the correct legal term these days it can be an executor or administrator if there was no will.They are often used interchangeably, many wills still call them executors but the bot***** *****ne is that they mean the same thing.I would use personal representative,this is current legal jargon for the executor.

It is the person appointed by the court to represent the estate in all matters, sale of property , gathering assets, paying claims , filing inventory and disbursing claims, etc.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

There are two types of personal representatives who oversee the winding up of the decedent's estate: (1) an executor is the person named in the decedent's will, and (2) an administrator is appointed by the court to administer the estate of someone who died intestate.

Personal Representative - National Paralegal College