Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My husband and I were formerly widowed and married two years

Customer Question

My husband and I were formerly widowed and married two years ago. We want to get paperwork in order. Both of us have previous wills. Both want to revoke previous wills. He has one grandson listed in his former will as heir to all. I have my will leaving all to former 1st spouse and father of my children. We now have revoked these wills signing papers and notorized them, in doing so do we need to write another will or can we leave that go for now as we consider further what we want to do? We live in Florida, his will written in Florida in 2013 after his wife died, my previous will written in NJ in 1976 and never updated. If either one of us should pass with revocation of previous wills without another written what happens then? We have given each other power of attorney as of Sept 9, 2016 and changed most bank accounts to joint accounts with right of survival. One CD in his name only. We owned 3 properties in both of our names and purchased after our marriage. He owns 3 others plus 2 promissory notes (owner financed mortgages). I still have one property in MO in my own name.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Do I understand correctly that both of you have revoked the prior wills?

Are you asking what happens if you die intestate in Florida?