KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Mother refuses to give me my savings bonds that I'm entitled

Customer Question

Mother refuses to give me my savings bonds that I'm entitled to. My grandmother left them specifically for me. I'm 23 and have been of age for awhile to receive them. What action can I take against her to receive them or how do I have them reissued to me? I'm not sure exactly how they are titled but I know for sure my name is ***** *****
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. A couple of questions. Is your grandmother deceased, and what is the amount of the savings bonds.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My grandmother is deceased. I'm not sure the amount due to my mother never allowing me to see them. My grandmother however verbally told me that they existed prior to her passing so i know they exist. They are a pretty large value and I'm thinking that's why my mother won't give them to me. I've been out of the house for 2 years now and am 23 and still have not received them.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

If your grandmother had an estate that was probated in court at the time of her death, then the claims to the rights on the bonds must go through the court. if there was a probate of her estate then you can go to the court where the estate was probated and file a claim for the bonds. If there was no estate, then your only recourse would be to sue your mother in court for the value of the bonds that she is wrongfully holding. That would require filing an action in either small claims, if the amount is under $7,500, or in civil Court in the county in which you reside. It will be very difficult to have the bonds re-issued, but a court can order that she pay you the dollar value of the bonds.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay so is there a way to find out if her estate was in probate? My mother wouldn't even tell me details as small as that. I'm working from a blank slate.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Yes. You would have to physically go down to the District court for the county in which your grandmother lived. They would have detailed records on what was filed for your grandmother's estate.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you with your question. You will not be charged extra to rate the question and you can ask follow up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.