Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
16823287

I have a good friend who is in jail, is dad died his aunt

Customer Question

I have a good friend who is in jail, is dad died his aunt cleaned out his dad's bank acount and took all of his and his dads things. How can he start the probate process from jail so he can get control of his fathers estate?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

The best way for him to do this is to hire a probate lawyer located in the county where his dad used to live since he is not likely to be able to get out and go to court each time there is a hearing or a filing issue. The lawyer will then need to sue the aunt for conversion of your friend's belongings. As far as cleaning out his dad's bank account that normally could not happen unless she was a joint account holder or named a beneficiary.

Here is a list of IOWA probate lawyers to choose from.

If you friend really wants to try to do this himself, he can start the probate process by filing a petition for probate using these instructions and these forms.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Here are the instructions.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Here are the instructions:

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.iowabar.org/resource/resmgr/section_committee_documents/clerk's_manual_-_august_2015.pdf

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Did this answer help you?

If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The link doesnt work
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Did you try to copy the link and paste it in the google search bar?

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Did that work?

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Is there any reason why you are not able to assign a positive rating for me at this time? If so, please let me know what I need to do to earn that from you.