Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I am a conservator for my brother in Idaho and my brother

Customer Question

I am a conservator for my brother in Idaho and my brother died. His property is in California (bank account) and the bank said i have to file a petition to liquidate funds in the state where the property is. I filed a petition for exparte order to liquidate funds in the Los Angeles Court and i sent them copies of my letters and order of conservatorship in both states and they denied my petition stating I don't have the authority to file petition because i was discharged from the California court when I moved to Idaho and the case was transferred to Idaho where my brother and I live.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 6 months ago.

What was the reason the LA Court discharged you? Was is only because the case was transferred to Idaho? If so, you will have to re-file a normal petition, (not ex parte) to liquidate the estate. LA Courts dislike ex parte applications and rather have time to evaluate the merits of the motion rather than 5-10 minutes on an ex parte basis.

Also, consider retaining a probate attorney for the limited purpose of filing this liquidation motion for a flat fee to get is resolved to save time, a filing fees. Additionally the link provided may entitle you to free legal services to assist with your probate issue that I suggest you making contact with to see if the association is willing to assist you for free: https://lafla.org/

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

I need a rating to be credited for my time and efforts. Please rate my answer.