Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

How in Indiana does a person that lives in Florida have to

Customer Question

how long in Indiana does a person that lives in Florida have to pick up a material gift when everthing has already been done so the trust can be finally closed
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.
Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.
What is the nature of the distribution?
What does the trust say about disclaimer?
Why is the beneficiary delaying taking possession?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Unless stated in the trust, there is no legal period a beneficiary has to claim the asset.
Have you asked the beneficiary if they would prefer the furniture be sold and the cash distributed to them rather than the bedroom set?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
If you can get their permission in writing (assuming the trust does not specifically provide) you can sell the bedroom set and give them the proceeds, less the expenses of the sale.
Otherwise, you should send a registered letter stating that if the furniture is not claimed within 30 days, the property will be put into storage for the beneficiary to claim or it will be auctioned off to pay for the cost of storage.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
In other words, give notice the furniture will be treated as abandoned if it is not claimed.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is NO additional charge to you for leaving a positive (5 stars) rating on this page.Thanks.