LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

I am the legal guardian of my handicap sibling who is female

Customer Question

I am the legal guardian of my handicap sibling who is female and Down's Syndrome. My father bought a insurance policy on my sister and had a real difficult time doing so back in the 1960s early1970s. our father passed away on 06/03/2011. I became Legal Guardian through the courts for my sister following a hospitalization 07/2011. My father left his estate to myself soley. and when I inquired about this $25K ins policy to do pre-need the benficary has been changed to my brother and the insurance company stated to me I cannot inquire unless I was POA, of my father YES i was POA. but my father was SR, my brother is Jr......to the best of my knowledge my father had never changed beneficiary.......how can I get the proper info?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 8 months ago.

Hello - my name is ***** ***** I am going to help you today. My first suggestion would be to show the insurance company your paperwork establishing you as guardian. My guess is your brother may have changed beneficiaries after your father's death. If the insurance company will not make the change I suggest you speak with you brother to see if he will change the beneficiary to you since you are primarily responsible. In my opinion the insurance comoany is wrong in this instance due to the Jr vs. Sr. I hope this helps you and follow up with anything I may have missed. Thanks and all the best, David