Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters

My cousin is being sued for misappropriation of funds. She

Customer Question

My cousin is being sued for misappropriation of funds. She was the power of attorney for her mother's estate. Most of the 300,000 in the estate has disappeared and the nursing home that her mother is staying in, is owed 100,000. What can happen to my cousin for allowing this to happen?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

I take it that mother is still living in the nursing home that is owed the money.Virginia has adopted the uniform power of attorney accounting act. Your cousin can be held liable both civilly and criminally depending on the circumstances. Here is an excerpt from the statute itself.

§ 26-71.17. (UPOAA § 117). Agent’s Liability. a. If an agent violates the UPOAA, he is liable to the principal for the restoration value of the principal’s property and for reimbursement to the principal or the principal’s successors in interest for attorneys’ fees and costs paid from the principal’s property on the agent’s behalf. b. An agent who violates the UPOAA will be subject to liability as provided in the Act but may also be subject to civil or criminal liability under separate state statutes dealing with financial abuse. Here is the text of the entire Uniform Act:

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I hope that this answers your question. If not, please feel free to send me a reply for further information. Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks for your understanding and for using JUST ANSWER.