Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

MY SON RECENTLY died he had a will. He intended to leave his

Customer Question

MY SON RECENTLY died he had a will. He intended to leave his investment account to his mother (me). His best friend also a lawyer who wrote the will, says it would cost too much to challenge the will. There will be 3 trust to be set up with the sale of property. The bank says the money goes to the estate in the state of pa do I investigate whether I can get the money as he intended it is not written some where
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I haven't I didn't know what type to look for. and I am broke
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: His best friend is a very good friend of mine also
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am very sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences...

.

I am also very sorry to have to give you bad news, but it is part of the job.. It isn't what son intended to do that counts legally, it is what he actually did. And if he had a written will that disposes of his assets in a certain way, then that would control what happens and the executor can't legally do anything else, even if they wanted to.

.

So if the investment account didn't name you or someone else as a specific beneficiary, then it would go into his estate and would be distributed according to the terms of the will.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.