Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My girlfriend won an inheritance award in Ghana in gold. She

Customer Question

My girlfriend won an inheritance award in Ghana in gold. She hired a barrister to do the paperwork and get ministry of mining paperwork through Ghanian High Court. A flat fee was agreed to. We then negotiated a deal to pay half up front and the remainder after the award. The barrister knew she didn't have the cash to pay more than the half up front. Now we learn that in Ghana a private citizen can not sell or buy gold, only a licensed broker. The license costs 12,000US upfront. I have suggested she ship one Kilo to the US, I cash it and send the money back for her to pay the bill. Can they stop her from sending that gold out if the country before completing payment to them?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

This is one of the most common online scams out there. The girlfriend, the barrister and everyone else you are communicating in this are confederates working together to scam you.

There is, in fact no inheritance, no gold and the fees are all made up. They are just excuses to get you to keep sending money, which will continue until you run out of money or realize you have been victimized.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Stop the correspondence immediately. These people are criminals and deserve no explanation. Otherwise, they will just keep stealing your money.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Did you have further questions?

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is not the answer you were hoping to receive. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I believe am not being asked for money, I know this person. The question is can SHE send some gold to the US that I cash and send back?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
she could absolutely send you gold. She could also take gold to a bank and convert it to cash and wire the cash to you.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.