RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I was contacted from United Bank for Africa on a dormant

Customer Question

I was contacted from United Bank for Africa on a dormant account that was supposedly bequeathed to me from a Mrs Angelica Stauffer via email stating that in order for them to reactivate the account in my name it costs $250, Im not even sure if thisw is real or a scam?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

Unfortunately, United Bank For Africa is a scam, one of many types of scams that comes out of ares like Ghana and Nigeria. This is an "advanced fee" or "419" scam. The scammers claim that you are owed funds, but in order to claim them, they need money from you first. Generally, they'll want you to wire the money (since funds that are wired cannot be traced). If you send them money, they'll just come up with excuses to ask for more and more, but of course, you never get access to the account or the money. It's no different then the many other types of lottery or romance scams coming from the area.

Don't send any money to them, please, and I would suggest ceasing all communication with them as well.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!