Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

Must the executor of a will and trust give a copy to the

Customer Question

Must the executor of a will and trust give a copy to the beneficiaries
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: we think the will may have been changed prior to my wife's father dying
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

No, an executor is not required to provide a copy of a will and/or trust to the beneficiaries. If the person is applying for the will to be probated then the Application for Probate and a copy fo the will should be served on all beneficiaries unless they waive that requirement.

The will should be filed along with the Application for Probate and thus will be a public record and available for anyone to look at it in the clerk of court's office.

However, if the person named as executor does not apply for the will to be probated then there is no requirement that a copy be provided to the beneficiaries absent a court order to that effect.